Vanilla Bean Cajeta Flan
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/3 cup Water
- 11 ounce Cajeta Vanilla Bean
- 2 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 3 eggs
- 4 Egg Yolks
- Make caramel: Bring sugar and water to a boil in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved, then wash down any sugar crystals from side of pan with a pastry brush dipped in cold water. Boil, without stirring, swirling pan occasionally so caramel colors evenly, until dark amber. Immediately divide caramel among 6 ramekins and swirl each ramekin to coat bottom and about halfway up side.
- Make flan: Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle. Put cajeta and half-and-half in a heavy medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring until smooth. Whisk together whole eggs and yolks in a large bowl. Slowly whisk in hot liquid.
- Ladle custard into ramekins.
- Bake in a hot water bath until edge is set but a quarter-size spot in center is still wobbly, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove ramekins from water and cool at least 30 minutes (custard will continue to set). Unmold just before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature
Note: Use cinnamon cajeta instead and top with strawberries!