Sour Cream Blueberry and Caramel Cake
- 1/2 cup goat's milk caramel from Fat Toad Farm
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup all-pupose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 cups all-pupose flour
- 1 teaspoon double-acting baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 lg egg yolks
- 1 cup or 8 oz sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 1-2 tablespoon milk
**By Leslie Roos (adapted from Epicurious)
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease one 9-inch square pan,9-inch Bundt or tube pan, or 9-inch springform pan. Line with parchment or waxed paper, grease again, and dust with flour. ** We like a Bundt Pan! No Parchment necessary if properly buttered and floured**
2. To make the Blueberry filling: Combine the caramel (cajeta), sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt. Cut in the butter to resemble coarse crumbs. Stir in the nuts.
3. To make the batter: Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a large bowl, beat the butter until smooth, about 1 minute. Gradually add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time. Blend in the sour cream, vanilla, and zest if using. Stir in the flour mixture.
4. Spread half of the batter in the prepared pan. Cover with the blueberry filling. Carefully cover with the remaining batter.
5. Bake unitl the cake is golden and pulls away from the sides of the pan, about 55-65 minutes. Test by inserting knife into cake – Cake is done when knife comes out clean. Set on a rack and let cool in the pan for at least 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. Wrap the cake in plastic and store at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
6. To make the glaze if using: Combine all the glaze ingredients, stirring until smooth and of pouring consistency. Drizzle over the cake and let stand until set.